Willmore, who subdivided it in hopes of creating a farm community, Willmore City. In the 1950s it was referred to as "Iowa by the sea," due to a large influx of people from that and other Midwestern states.
Its boundaries were in dispute for years, due to flooding changing the Los Angeles River boundary, between the ranchos of Juan Jose Dominguez and Manuel Nieto.
In 1843 Jonathan Temple bought Rancho Los Cerritos, having arrived in California in 1827 from New England.
The city also maintains a robust oil industry with wells located both directly beneath the city as well as offshore.
Manufacturing sectors include those in aircraft, automotive parts, electronic equipment, audiovisual equipment, and home furnishings.
In the 1870s as many as 30,000 sheep were kept at the ranch and sheared twice yearly to provide wool for trade. Hellman, Lewellyn and Jotham Bixby, and him, to purchase the rancho. Bixby named the streets and laid out the parks of his new city. When Jotham Bixby died in 1916, the remaining 3,500 acres (14 km The Pike was the most famous beachside amusement zone on the West Coast from 1902 until 1969, it offered bathers food, games and rides, such at the Sky Wheel dual Ferris wheel and Cyclone Racer roller coaster.
In 1880, Bixby sold 4,000 acres (16 km) of the Rancho Los Cerritos to William E. In addition to bringing innovative farming methods to the Alamitos (which under Abel Stearns in the late 1850s and early 1860s was once the largest cattle ranch in the US), J. Bixby began the development of the oceanfront property near the city's picturesque bluffs. This area would include Belmont Heights, Belmont Shore and Naples; it soon became a thriving community of its own. Gradually the oil industry, Navy shipyard and facilities and port became the mainstays of the city.
The boundary between the two ranchos ran through the center of Signal Hill on a southwest to northeast diagonal.
A portion of western Long Beach was originally part of the Rancho San Pedro.
Tevaaxa'anga was an inland settlement near the Los Angeles River, while Ahwaanga and Povuu'nga were coastal villages.