In the main accommodation block, males were accommodated at the west, and females at the east. The buildings were extended with a 20-bed fever ward at the north-west and a chapel in 1864, and two vagrant wards in 1870.By 1874, the workhouse accommodated around 370 inmates. The former workhouse site later became Peterborough District Hospital.A township starts to spring up to the eastern side of the monastic precincts, and the whole is bounded by a ditched and embanked burgh wall.
When Oswald died in battle against King Penda of Mercia in 642, his arm was taken to Bamburgh where it remained uncorrupted.
The arm remained the primary relic of Peterborough and the chapel of St Oswald still has a watch-tower where the monks safeguarded it day and night. Oswald’s arm disappeared from the chapel during the reformation along with its silver casket.
The union operated children's cottage homes at Alderman's Drive and at Midland Road, Peterborough.
In 1924, Aldermans' drive housed up to 10 children, with Miss M. Midland Road could accommodate 22 children who were in the care Miss A.
Werrington had a parish workhouse on Church Street. A house on Main Street in Yaxley, dating from the early 18th century, once served as the parish workhouse. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 45 in number, representing its 39 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): County of Northampton: Ailsworth, Castor, Deeping Gate, Etton, Eye, Glinton, Gunthorpe, Helpstone [Helpston], Marholm, Maxey, Newborough, Northborough, Paston, Peakirk, Peterborough — St John the Baptist (6), Sutton, Upton, Walton, Werrington.
The building, which is said to date from around 1782, was later used as a school. County of Huntingdon: Alwalton, Caldecot, Chesterton, Denton, Farcet, Fletton, Folksworth, Glatton, Haddon, Holme, Morborne, Overton Longville [Orton Longueville], Overton Waterville [Orton Waterville], Standground [Stanground], Stilton, Washingley, Water Newton, Woodstone [Woodston], Yaxley. Later Addition: Borough Fen (a non-parochial area until 1861).
Roman Period – Archaeological evidence around and underneath the Cathedral indicates that there was a Roman building on this site, including evidence of a boundary ditch and monumental stonework.
This may indicate a substantial building, possibly a temple or monumental arch.
The site location and layout are shown on the 1888 OS map below. Later additions included a Master's house in 1913 at the south-east of the entrance block, new infirmary in about 1920 (later known as St John's Hospital) to the east of the workhouse, and a nurses' home in 1932-2 to the east of the Master's house. Six acres of land and the former workhouse were acquired in March 1972 by the Secretary of State for Health on behalf of the Regional Health Authority, who then demolished the older buildings.