In the course of the Partitions of Poland the city lost its autonomy in 1793, regaining it for a short period (1807–1814) as a Napoleonic client state, before it became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815. Mary's and all the Lutheran state church into the all-Prussian Lutheran church administration.
Mary in Hanseatic cities around the Baltic, and it has some details in common with Gothic brick churches in Flanders and the Netherlands.
By 1447 the eastern part of the church was finished, and the tower was raised by two floors in the years 1452-1466.
But the Polish monarch also recognised Danzig's religious freedom and Lutheran faith.
But as a compromise, since the Catholic kings of Poland had been the nominal heads of the City since the Second Peace of Thorn (1466), the Council authorised building the baroque Catholic Royal Chapel.
It was erected by Tylman van Gameren (Gamerski) and completed in 1681, near St.
Mary's Church, for the king's Catholic service when he visited Danzig. Mary's pastor Constantin Schütz (1646–1712) a moderate pietist theology replaced the previously dominant Lutheran orthodoxy.
), or formally the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Polish: Bazylika Mariacka Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny w Gdańsku), is a Roman Catholic church in Gdańsk, Poland. With its volume between 185,000 m³ and 190,000 m³ is currently one of the two or three second largest brick church in the world, and one of the two or three largest north of the Alps.
Only San Petronio Basilica in Bologna, comprising 258,000 m³ is larger, Munich Frauenkirche and Ulm Minster also comprise 185,000 to 190,000 m³. Mary's Church was used for Roman Catholic and Lutheran services simultaneously.
First intended to win all these congregations to adopt a unified Protestant confession, the vast Lutheran majority insisted on retaining the Augsburg Confession, thus St.